This is a beginners class, no experience in using wood, knives and axes is necessary. If you have some experience then this will help you progress faster. Beginners or those with little experience would benefit from attending the Wild Wood Whittling course. Minimum age for this course is 16.
We use spoons every day and usually give them little thought. They are wonderful examples of 3D design and art meeting function, with their almost infinite variety of shapes and form. People have carved wooden spoons since we began working wood, a tradition that is still alive today with more and more people taking up this practical and rewarding pastime.
Spoons come in all shapes and sizes: eating, serving, cooking, sculptural, and love-spoons. This workshop will concentrate on spoons for eating with, and smaller serving spoons. Depending on your ability, you will take home at least one spoon and the techniques used in making, so you can continue making spoons at home. Spoon carving tools will be on sale at the workshop.
You will learn:
- How to use an axe and knife safely. Step by step tuition is given in each axe and knife technique.
- What wood to use and what part of the tree to use.
- How to shape the billet of wood using an axe.
- How to refine and finish the roughed out blank using a range of knives.
- Cutting out the bowl of the spoon using curved spoon knives. You be able to try out various spoon knives and other tools for hollowing the bowl.
- How to finish the spoon: a cut finish versus a sanded finish, and what to oil your spoon with.
- You will be able to try out various commercially available knives and axes.
- We will also talk about and practice how to keep your knife sharp.
- You will also be able to take home at least one billet of wood to continue making spoons.
Hot & cold drinks, biscuits, cake and fruit will all be provided, but we ask that all participants bring their own lunch.
When purchasing your ticket, please ensure you complete the form to make us aware of any health conditions or allergies as well as any additional support that you may need during your day with us.